Blog: Smoking stubbed out
Catherine Sleep | 15 February 2006
Result! Our esteemed Members of Parliament have overwhelmingly voted in favour of a total ban on smoking in enclosed spaces as of summer 2007. There will be no exemptions for private clubs. This is extraordinarily good news for people who work in pubs and restaurants, and for those of us who wish to get through life as far from the filthy whiff of nicotine as possible.
Some smokers may find my jubilation offensive, but hey, I’m not the one with the foul breath. Actually smokers who work in pubs seem to be generally in favour of the ban too, since at least they will henceforth only be subject to their own cigarette smoke, and not be passive inhalers of others’. And people like my 79-year-old father-in-law, valiantly trying to kick the 20-a-day habit that's been compromising his health for decades, will be able to go down to his local pub of a lunchtime without being surrounded by the smoke he craves, yet also despises.
Now if we can just ban a few more varieties of antisocial behaviour, like spitting on the pavement, nose-picking and thoughtless parking, we’ll be well away.
Of course many commentators disagree with me, and in the spirit of fairness here’s a link to a beautifully argued rant by Simon Jenkins. He’s still wrong, though.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review