Blog: Soggy flannels
Catherine Sleep | 12 October 2004
The Food Commission has issued a new press release with ‘ten top tips’ for healthy eating. The principle is good: it encourages parents to analyse on-pack nutritional info and make sure that products they buy really are as healthy as they would have you think.
But I wonder if the Food Commission isn’t sailing a little close to the wind when it describes Bernard Matthews Ham Sandwich Slices as “as soggy as a wet flannel”. Isn’t this libellous? I wonder whether Bernard Matthews will respond? Perhaps they’ll do so by upping the meat content and lowering the water content… And isn’t it amazing that Bernard Matthews doesn’t have a website? Or rather, it does, but it only has a front page and a promise that there will be more to see soon. They’re privately held and can do as they please, but all the same, I’d have expected the UK’s largest turkey processor to have established an Internet presence by now.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities