Blog: Sometimes corners need to be cut
Catherine Sleep | 24 November 2005
Today’s news story about the problems affecting dinner parties got me thinking. Our group of friends has got itself into a bit of a pickle and I can’t think we’re alone. The thing is, we watch cookery programmes, and enjoy access to reasonable food stores, and on the whole quite enjoy cooking and entertaining.
That said, most of us are juggling pretty intense jobs with the delights and demands of young children, not to mention other commitments. As a result, the time is scarce to cook several courses of sublime fare and then serve it on a beautifully laid table (for we seek to emulate Martha Stewart – except not the prison bit, obviously).
Yet we struggle to tone down our expectations of what we should offer guests. Net result? We don’t entertain each other as often as we would like. This is daft, isn’t it? Really we should just bite the bullet and reason: “Okay, I’ve no time to stage a magnificent several-course feast of ingredients sourced at various obscure delicatessens and spend two hours dressing the table. But I HAVE got time to make a pasta sauce and throw together a salad, and maybe I could ask X to bring a pudding….”
Course, it’s always hard to be the first to drop the baton but hey, perhaps I’ll swallow my pride and start opening those tins of beans next time we want friends around.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report