Blog: Southern Europe remains uphill struggle for Danone
Michelle Russell | 17 October 2012
Europe remained the focus of Danone's results this morning (17 October) as the French food giant revealed its sales figures for the third quarter.
Group sales were up in the three month period, but Danone continues to struggle in Southern Europe, where consumers are turning to cheaper brands in the poor economic climate.
Chairman Franck Riboud said pressure on consumer spending is affecting sales for the business lines most exposed to this region, namely fresh dairy.
The results may come a little surprise to many in the industry. Most food companies have been suffering amid the Euro-zone's debt crisis as consumers are forced to tighten their belts, particularly in Southern Europe and most notably in Spain where a VAT increase has weighed heavily on many firms.
In June, Danone issued a warning that its profits would be hit by weaker margins during fiscal 2012. The company has had to invest heavily in brand support and price positioning to shore-up its top line, hitting profitability.
The company also appears to be struggling to manage input costs, despite a softening commodities environment as dairy commodity prices retreat from last year's highs.
On today's conference call, however, CFO Pierre-Andre Terisse sounded an upbeat note on Southern Europe where he said things are "getting better", and in particular Spain where he noted "we are going in the right direction and we are doing the right things".
Rival Nestle is set to release its third-quarter results tomorrow, followed by Unilever on 25 October.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review