Blog: Spam spam spam
Catherine Sleep | 4 November 2004
Glad to see that the much derided spiced ham product from Hormel Foods, Spam, is to get a new ad campaign in the UK. I remember eating it as a child with no particular repulsion, although it really has got quite a negative image here. I know when friends moan about poor finances even now, they often close the conversation saying “Oh well, at least we’re not on the Spam yet, so times can’t be that hard…”.
Talking of Spam, I was delighted to see that a court in the US has handed down a hefty penalty to a brother and sister convicted of sending the other type of spam, that is to say, unsolicited emails. The chief culprit is getting a nine-year jail term.
Spam is a right pain in the neck for many, many businesses and if your product is web-based, as just-food is, you can spend an inordinate amount of time and effort combating it. And as individuals we all know what a pain it can be sifting through spam and installing spam defence systems – none of which are absolutely perfect. According to the report linked below, spam accounts for a shocking 60% of all email traffic. It’s good to see the legal system taking the problem seriously.
UK consumers are being urged to think of other ways to use their jack-o-lanterns and cut the millions of tonnes of pumpkin that is wasted at this time of year....
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Pladis stepping up growth investments
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report