Blog: Sugar stays in spotlight
Katy Askew | 5 January 2015
Sugar consumption has again been placed in the spotlight in the UK as Public Health England kicks off a new campaign that aims to get parents to reduce the amount children consume.
Under the auspices of PHE's Change4Life communications drive, the agency is urging families to make "sugar swaps" by substituting sugary drinks, eating yoghurt instead of ice cream or a teacake instead of a muffin.
Prof Kevin Fenton, PHE national director of health and wellbeing, said the campaign was about taking "small steps" to cut sugar consumption. "Reducing sugar intake is important for the health of our children both now and in the future. We are all eating too much sugar and the impact this has on our health is evident."
In a separate move, Tesco said last week it will remove confectionery from all its checkouts - extending this policy to its smaller Metro and Express outlets.
As just-food's most recent management briefing argues, the debate around sugar looks set to continue to rage throughout 2015. Manufacturers should heed the direction of traffic with the potential to step up efforts around reformulation offering a potential solution.
Sectors: Health & wellness
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review