Blog: Sugar stays in spotlight
Katy Askew | 5 January 2015
Sugar consumption has again been placed in the spotlight in the UK as Public Health England kicks off a new campaign that aims to get parents to reduce the amount children consume.
Under the auspices of PHE's Change4Life communications drive, the agency is urging families to make "sugar swaps" by substituting sugary drinks, eating yoghurt instead of ice cream or a teacake instead of a muffin.
Prof Kevin Fenton, PHE national director of health and wellbeing, said the campaign was about taking "small steps" to cut sugar consumption. "Reducing sugar intake is important for the health of our children both now and in the future. We are all eating too much sugar and the impact this has on our health is evident."
In a separate move, Tesco said last week it will remove confectionery from all its checkouts - extending this policy to its smaller Metro and Express outlets.
As just-food's most recent management briefing argues, the debate around sugar looks set to continue to rage throughout 2015. Manufacturers should heed the direction of traffic with the potential to step up efforts around reformulation offering a potential solution.
Sectors: Health & wellness
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities