Blog: Sun shines over SIAL - but what's the outlook for the industry?
Dean Best | 21 October 2012
This year's edition of SIAL, the huge food industry exhibition, kicked off in Paris today, with warm sunshine over the French capital. However, the show is being held in the teeth of the worst economic conditions for decades and with the eurozone crisis casting a shadow over the Continent. In the next five days, just-food will be finding out what exhibitors believe is the outlook for the industry.
Optimism often abounds at events like this; exhibitors are looking at new markets and are also pushing new products at retail buyers, exporters and importers. SIAL calls innovation a "flagship value" of its event, which it claims sets it apart from other industry trade shows.
Nonetheless, there is no question trading conditions remain tough; leading executives from the European food and drink spent two days in Brussels last week deliberating how the sector could grow in the face of economic volatility, pressure on resources and global competition. And in the face of less loyal and more cautious consumers.
And the downturn has, to some industry watchers, hit innovation. Earlier this month, Heinz told the IGD industry conference in London there had been a 30% drop in products launched this year in the UK compared to two years ago.
Plus, there is some concern of a slowdown in key emerging markets of Brazil and China.
Stay tuned to the news, NPD and interviews pages on just-food for the latest from the event.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Ferrero entity acquires Delacre
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report