Blog: 'Supermarket Guru' Lempert gives verdict on NPD in 2010
Dean Best | 14 December 2010
Phil Lempert, the US food industry commentator known as the 'Supermarket Guru', has published his "hits" and "misses" of the new products launched Stateside this year.
Based on a 100 point scale, products scoring an 85 or above are considered a "Hit" and those scoring 75 and below are a "Miss".
Lempert awarded his highest score - 97 - to a European-style, organic cinnamon and whole milk yoghurt made by family-owned Straus Family Creamery.
"The cinnamon is not overpowering and complements the tangy yoghurt flavor. Although it has billions of good bacteria with live and active cultures, it's the taste that makes it a hit. However, due to the 24 grams of sugars in one cup, we couldn't give it a perfect score," Lempert said.
However, Lempert's "Misses" were led by Nassau Candy's Not Just Cereal Milk Chocolate Fruity Flavored O's, which he awarded a score of 57.
"Sold in Wal-Mart, this cereal is a mixture of chocolate and Fruit Loops without any taste," Lempert said. "In addition, a 1.58 ounce serving has 27 grams of sugar, 220 calories and 90 milligrams of sodium. What a way to start the day…not!"
You can find the complete lists covering Lempert's top ten "Hits" and "Misses" of 2010 here.
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Aryzta appoints Gary McGann as chairman
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities