Blog: 'Supermarket Guru' Lempert gives verdict on NPD in 2010
Dean Best | 14 December 2010
Phil Lempert, the US food industry commentator known as the 'Supermarket Guru', has published his "hits" and "misses" of the new products launched Stateside this year.
Based on a 100 point scale, products scoring an 85 or above are considered a "Hit" and those scoring 75 and below are a "Miss".
Lempert awarded his highest score - 97 - to a European-style, organic cinnamon and whole milk yoghurt made by family-owned Straus Family Creamery.
"The cinnamon is not overpowering and complements the tangy yoghurt flavor. Although it has billions of good bacteria with live and active cultures, it's the taste that makes it a hit. However, due to the 24 grams of sugars in one cup, we couldn't give it a perfect score," Lempert said.
However, Lempert's "Misses" were led by Nassau Candy's Not Just Cereal Milk Chocolate Fruity Flavored O's, which he awarded a score of 57.
"Sold in Wal-Mart, this cereal is a mixture of chocolate and Fruit Loops without any taste," Lempert said. "In addition, a 1.58 ounce serving has 27 grams of sugar, 220 calories and 90 milligrams of sodium. What a way to start the day…not!"
You can find the complete lists covering Lempert's top ten "Hits" and "Misses" of 2010 here.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review