Blog: Takeover talks surrounds Bidvest's foodservice assets
Dean Best | 8 July 2011
just-food's expertise is in the packaged food manufacturing and food retail sectors but, every so often, a foodservice story emerges about which we feel we should alert our readers.
On Wednesday (6 July), South Africa-listed Bidvest Group said it had had takeover interest in its foodservice operations, which take in markets including the UK, Europe, southern Africa, China and Australia.
Bidvest said it had "recently received various unsolicited proposals" for the assets, which include the UK's 3663 Wholesale and Deli XL in Belgium and the Netherlands.
The company described that its foodservice operations as "an attractive business" and insisted they had "strong growth prospects".
Nonetheless, Bidvest is willing to listen. It said it had set up a "sub-committee" to carry out a "strategic review" of the foodservice business to look at whether the proposals would "optimise value for Bidvest shareholders".
Of course, Bidvest could just be demonstrating its fidicuiary duty. However, the company is clearly taking the approaches seriously and could look to strike a deal.
Reports have linked private-equity firms to the business, which some claim could be worth US$4bn.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report