Blog: Takeover talks surrounds Bidvest's foodservice assets
Dean Best | 8 July 2011
just-food's expertise is in the packaged food manufacturing and food retail sectors but, every so often, a foodservice story emerges about which we feel we should alert our readers.
On Wednesday (6 July), South Africa-listed Bidvest Group said it had had takeover interest in its foodservice operations, which take in markets including the UK, Europe, southern Africa, China and Australia.
Bidvest said it had "recently received various unsolicited proposals" for the assets, which include the UK's 3663 Wholesale and Deli XL in Belgium and the Netherlands.
The company described that its foodservice operations as "an attractive business" and insisted they had "strong growth prospects".
Nonetheless, Bidvest is willing to listen. It said it had set up a "sub-committee" to carry out a "strategic review" of the foodservice business to look at whether the proposals would "optimise value for Bidvest shareholders".
Of course, Bidvest could just be demonstrating its fidicuiary duty. However, the company is clearly taking the approaches seriously and could look to strike a deal.
Reports have linked private-equity firms to the business, which some claim could be worth US$4bn.
US cereal giant Kellogg's revealed plans to open a cafe in New York City, located at a prime location on Broadway....
Wow. Your correspondent is penning this blog following precious little sleep after the combination of a humid night in London and the emergence of the most significant event in UK history since 1945 m...
The last three Unilever CEOs have joined present chief executive Paul Polman in writing to the company's staff to warn the group's UK operations would be "negatively impacted" by the country leaving t...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- General Mills to invest in "growth businesses"
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Nestle's focus on food for health - interview
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- UPDATE: Hershey rejects Mondelez takeover
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- ForeSights: Edible Cutlery; Cutlery made out of food-grade materials instead of plastic
- Fast Food in India