Blog: Takeover talks surrounds Bidvest's foodservice assets
Dean Best | 8 July 2011
just-food's expertise is in the packaged food manufacturing and food retail sectors but, every so often, a foodservice story emerges about which we feel we should alert our readers.
On Wednesday (6 July), South Africa-listed Bidvest Group said it had had takeover interest in its foodservice operations, which take in markets including the UK, Europe, southern Africa, China and Australia.
Bidvest said it had "recently received various unsolicited proposals" for the assets, which include the UK's 3663 Wholesale and Deli XL in Belgium and the Netherlands.
The company described that its foodservice operations as "an attractive business" and insisted they had "strong growth prospects".
Nonetheless, Bidvest is willing to listen. It said it had set up a "sub-committee" to carry out a "strategic review" of the foodservice business to look at whether the proposals would "optimise value for Bidvest shareholders".
Of course, Bidvest could just be demonstrating its fidicuiary duty. However, the company is clearly taking the approaches seriously and could look to strike a deal.
Reports have linked private-equity firms to the business, which some claim could be worth US$4bn.
US fans of British chocolate imports have taken to social media to vent their frustration after Hershey earlier this week reached a settlement with an importer to stop distributing British-made candy ...
Ads are commonly a bone of contention in this industry, with food manufacturers regularly coming under fire for what they believe is creative use of media. ...
Singapore-based agribusiness giant Wilmar International is to publish more information on how it sources its palm oil, a move welcomed by environmentalists....
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report