Blog: Takeover talks surrounds Bidvest's foodservice assets
Dean Best | 8 July 2011
just-food's expertise is in the packaged food manufacturing and food retail sectors but, every so often, a foodservice story emerges about which we feel we should alert our readers.
On Wednesday (6 July), South Africa-listed Bidvest Group said it had had takeover interest in its foodservice operations, which take in markets including the UK, Europe, southern Africa, China and Australia.
Bidvest said it had "recently received various unsolicited proposals" for the assets, which include the UK's 3663 Wholesale and Deli XL in Belgium and the Netherlands.
The company described that its foodservice operations as "an attractive business" and insisted they had "strong growth prospects".
Nonetheless, Bidvest is willing to listen. It said it had set up a "sub-committee" to carry out a "strategic review" of the foodservice business to look at whether the proposals would "optimise value for Bidvest shareholders".
Of course, Bidvest could just be demonstrating its fidicuiary duty. However, the company is clearly taking the approaches seriously and could look to strike a deal.
Reports have linked private-equity firms to the business, which some claim could be worth US$4bn.
There has been an increase in M&A among companies in the food sector in recent months - and management consultants at EY expect to the trend to continue....
Nelson Peltz is not letting go. The US billionaire investor is continuing in his quest to get PepsiCo to split in two - and has reportedly suggested a proxy battle with the company could be on the hor...
just-food has launched a section on its website dedicated to interviewing internationally-ambitious small- and medium-sized enterprises. ...
The boom in demand for dairy products in emerging markets has been underlined by the latest data on the largest companies in the industry....
- On the move: What's in store from Tesco's new CEO?
- On the money: Can Premier build H2 sales momentum?
- Focus: Lindt plays safe with Russell Stover buy
- Interview: Bell hits out at German cartel ruling
- On the money: Steady as she goes at Cloetta
- UPDATE: Premier establishes international unit
- Campbell issues warning on 2014/15 fiscal year
- S&A Foods announces restructure, 55 jobs to go
- Universal Robina to buy biscuit firm Griffin's
- Premier launches Oxo pots range in UK