Blog: Takeover talks surrounds Bidvest's foodservice assets
Dean Best | 8 July 2011
just-food's expertise is in the packaged food manufacturing and food retail sectors but, every so often, a foodservice story emerges about which we feel we should alert our readers.
On Wednesday (6 July), South Africa-listed Bidvest Group said it had had takeover interest in its foodservice operations, which take in markets including the UK, Europe, southern Africa, China and Australia.
Bidvest said it had "recently received various unsolicited proposals" for the assets, which include the UK's 3663 Wholesale and Deli XL in Belgium and the Netherlands.
The company described that its foodservice operations as "an attractive business" and insisted they had "strong growth prospects".
Nonetheless, Bidvest is willing to listen. It said it had set up a "sub-committee" to carry out a "strategic review" of the foodservice business to look at whether the proposals would "optimise value for Bidvest shareholders".
Of course, Bidvest could just be demonstrating its fidicuiary duty. However, the company is clearly taking the approaches seriously and could look to strike a deal.
Reports have linked private-equity firms to the business, which some claim could be worth US$4bn.
Maggi noodles are yet to return to shelves in India but Nestle has started to pave the way for the brand's comeback with a series of social media ads....
just-food is downing tools for the public holiday in England and Wales on Monday 31 August. We'll be back at our desks on Tuesday 1 September....
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Unilever claims victory in Becel dispute
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Premier Foods adds to Mr Kipling range
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis