Blog: Tesco draws line under US venture
Michelle Russell | 27 November 2013
Tesco has finally drawn a line under its failed US venture with the announcement the sale of much of its business in the market has been sold.
After six years of losses, Tesco has closed its deal, announced in September, to sell assets to Yucaipa, the investment vehicle of US billionaire Ron Burkle,
The UK retail giant confirmed completion of the sale of over 150 stores and the unit's distribution and production facilities in California in a London Stock Exchange filing.
"Following the announcement of 10 September 2013 that Tesco had agreed the sale of the substantive part of Fresh & Easy's operating business to YFE Holdings Inc., an affiliate of Yucaipa Companies LLC, Tesco is today confirming the completion of the transaction," a statement read.
It was all a far cry from the words of former CEO Sir Terry Leahy in 2006, when he announced the retailer's plans to enter the US.
"With the new format we now think we can expand and be profitable in America," he said.
Tesco failed to make a profit in the US. The deal with Yucaipa even cost the retailer money.
All eyes are now on what Burkle and Yucaipa plan to do with the business.
Click here for just-food's insight into Tesco's US foray and what Yucaipa could do next with Fresh & Easy.
Farmers in three Australian states are set to grow "millions of extra vegetables" to meet increased demand under a new supply agreement between the country's second largest grocer, Coles and US-based ...
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review