Blog: Tesco hits India
Catherine Sleep | 16 March 2006
Nothing if not determined, it appears that Tesco has found a way to increase its activities in India despite that country’s ban on direct foreign investment in pure food and grocery retailing. Word has it that Tesco is about to start working with Bharti, the Indian telecoms group which recently made its first foray into the food sector via FieldFresh Foods, a joint venture with Rothschild.
Speculation abounds that Bharti is exploring a food retail venture likely to include hypermarkets, supermarkets and convenience stores. Does Tesco know about these formats? That'll be yes, yes and yes.
It would be a smart move for both companies. Bharti has no experience of grocery distribution and could learn a lot from Tesco’s supply chain expertise, particularly given Tesco’s recent adventures moving into other Asian markets. Tesco meanwhile would be able to leverage the business know-how of a major Indian conglomerate and gain a further foothold in a market to which it might one day have broader direct access.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review