Blog: Tesco profits plunge, chairman departs
Katy Askew | 24 October 2014
Tesco has reported a massive 92% drop in first half profits as the accounting fiasco continues to widen.
A probe into Tesco's accounting practices has uncovered an accounting black hole that has resulted in a GBP263m profit overstatement.
Former CEO Philip Clarke resigned this summer, before the accounting issues became public. His successor, former Unilever executive Dave Lewis is now faced with the somewhat daunting task of cleaning up the mess.
Lewis has started a strategic review and until this is complete it is unlikely we will see any major strategy shake-up from the UK's largest retailer.
However, what we can expect is for heads to roll.
Eight senior executives have been suspended pending the outcome of the inquiry, which is probing how Tesco logged suppliers' rebates and if they were reported in the correct accounting period.
And - predictably perhaps - alongside the dire profit news delivered to the market this morning was Tesco chairman Sir Richard Broadbent, who confirmed plans to quit.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
This week, Bel struck a deal to buy a majority stake in fellow French group MOM Brands. Another French food major, Danone, faced criticism in the US over its plans for GMO ingredients. US snack maker ...
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review