Blog: Tesco promises more dough for Poppy Appeal amid Premier spat
Dean Best | 29 October 2010
The dispute between Tesco and Premier Foods plc over the price of bread almost put at risk a Poppy Appeal donation to the Royal British Legion, a UK charity for serving and former soldiers.
The 11 lines of Hovis bread delisted after Tesco refused to accept Premier's request for price increases, including the Hovis maker's Seed Sensations loaves, which, made with poppy seeds, are sold in aid of the appeal.
Last year, Premier's promotion raised a six-figure sum and its tangle with Tesco had put a significant proportion of that in jeopardy in the run-up to Remembrance Day.
Tesco, however, has said it will make a donation to the appeal to cover any shortfall. "We are aware that some bread lines not sold at Tesco are raising funds for this great cause and so we are making a further direct donation to the Poppy Appeal to offset this and ensure the charity does not miss out," a spokesman said this morning (29 October).
As for Premier's spat with Tesco? As we reported yesterday, Premier boss Robert Schofield said talks were ongoing in a bid to "resolve" the situation.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review