Blog: Tesco promises more dough for Poppy Appeal amid Premier spat
Dean Best | 29 October 2010
The dispute between Tesco and Premier Foods plc over the price of bread almost put at risk a Poppy Appeal donation to the Royal British Legion, a UK charity for serving and former soldiers.
The 11 lines of Hovis bread delisted after Tesco refused to accept Premier's request for price increases, including the Hovis maker's Seed Sensations loaves, which, made with poppy seeds, are sold in aid of the appeal.
Last year, Premier's promotion raised a six-figure sum and its tangle with Tesco had put a significant proportion of that in jeopardy in the run-up to Remembrance Day.
Tesco, however, has said it will make a donation to the appeal to cover any shortfall. "We are aware that some bread lines not sold at Tesco are raising funds for this great cause and so we are making a further direct donation to the Poppy Appeal to offset this and ensure the charity does not miss out," a spokesman said this morning (29 October).
As for Premier's spat with Tesco? As we reported yesterday, Premier boss Robert Schofield said talks were ongoing in a bid to "resolve" the situation.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020