Blog: Tesco pushes ahead with San Francisco opening
Petah Marian | 23 June 2011
Tesco's Fresh & Easy US division opened its first store in San Francisco and announced a recruitment drive for its second store in the city yesterday (22 June) .
"Today as we celebrate the opening of Fresh & Easy's first grocery store in San Francisco, we are demonstrating once again the city's commitment to providing our residents access to fresh, wholesome food at affordable prices regardless of where they live," said San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee. "This new store along with the Bayview store scheduled to open in August will provide local jobs to our residents and it will have lasting local economic impacts in these communities and the city as a whole."
As the retailer pushes ahead with developing its estate in the US, industry watchers remain concerned about the the future of the operations.
For Tesco to achieve a profit, it needs to achieve scale. And as MF Global analyst Mike Dennis described back in May, opening up in Northern California is "like opening up a store in Scotland, when you've got a store in Havant in the south of England".
However, McMillanDoolittle retail consultant Neil Stern suggests that the move may give the retailer the opportunity to get the model right, which "might give it a better case to make to management to keep it going".
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report