Blog: Tesco remains on track
Dean Best | 21 April 2009
Justin may appear the unashamed optimist. Marc may come across as the continental sophisticate. Sir Stuart, one of the most quotable executives in UK business.
In comparison to the bosses of Sainsbury's, Morrisons and Marks and Spencer, Tesco chief executive Sir Terry Leahy is considered, almost to the point of serious.
Some would say no wonder. Tesco has faced some flak in recent months, with its UK competitors enjoying faster sales growth and its US venture under the microscope amid the global economic downturn.
Today (21 April), however, Sir Terry unveiled a set of sturdy full-year figures that appeared to show, by and large, that Tesco remains on track.
Sure, its core UK business still faces challenges – Tesco's discount offer, for instance, has attracted criticism for confusing consumers. Its US ambitions have been dulled by the downturn.
However, Tesco's long-term strength appears to lay in its international presence. Even in central Europe, a region whacked by the downturn, it saw its market share grow in each market in which it operates in the last quarter of its fiscal year.
Write Tesco and Sir Terry off at your peril.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review