Blog: Tesco remains on track
Dean Best | 21 April 2009
Justin may appear the unashamed optimist. Marc may come across as the continental sophisticate. Sir Stuart, one of the most quotable executives in UK business.
In comparison to the bosses of Sainsbury's, Morrisons and Marks and Spencer, Tesco chief executive Sir Terry Leahy is considered, almost to the point of serious.
Some would say no wonder. Tesco has faced some flak in recent months, with its UK competitors enjoying faster sales growth and its US venture under the microscope amid the global economic downturn.
Today (21 April), however, Sir Terry unveiled a set of sturdy full-year figures that appeared to show, by and large, that Tesco remains on track.
Sure, its core UK business still faces challenges – Tesco's discount offer, for instance, has attracted criticism for confusing consumers. Its US ambitions have been dulled by the downturn.
However, Tesco's long-term strength appears to lay in its international presence. Even in central Europe, a region whacked by the downturn, it saw its market share grow in each market in which it operates in the last quarter of its fiscal year.
Write Tesco and Sir Terry off at your peril.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Ahold Delhaize resolves Kraft Heinz delisting spat
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report