Blog: Tesco stung again in horse meat scandal
Chris Mercer | 25 January 2013
Tesco executives will no doubt be cursing this afternoon after it emerged that one of the firm's stores allowed beef burgers withdrawn in the horse meat scandal to be sold...to a BBC journalist.
Last week, many analysts described Tesco's response to the horse meat problem as text-book crisis management. It quickly issued a full apology for a test showing 29% horse meat in one of its frozen economy burgers, and swiftly removed potentially affected products from sale.
However, Tesco's halo had a wobble today when the BBC revealed that checkout staff at one its stores in Oxfordshire had overridden the retailer's electronic system to allow withdrawn burgers to be sold.
In the grand scheme of things, there's little harm done, with all tests on affected burgers showing no risk to public health.
This is, though, one more example of something slipping through the net in the food supply chain.
You can trot out all the, ahem, horse jokes you like, but there is much more serious side to all of this. Those all at levels of the food supply chain cannot keep shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019