Blog: Tesco. The UK loves you, it loves you not
Dean Best | 15 May 2008
Truism number one of the UK grocery sector – everyone hates Tesco.
Truism number two (not grocery-related) – everyone loves Justin Timberlake.
Alas, cliché-watchers, both of these apparent axioms of life have been dismissed by a survey into the UK’s best-loved brands.
Tesco, demonized for apparently screwing suppliers, forcing small shops out of business and (almost) taking over the UK, was named as the second most-liked brand in a survey by Marketing magazine.
The chaps at Cheshunt shouldn’t get too carried away, however. In a sign, perhaps, that Tesco does polarise opinion, the company was also named the UK’s most hated supermarket.
Brits, however, hate at least five more brands than they hate Tesco. And, at number one was McDonald’s.
Despite spending heaps of cash making its menu more healthy and signing up pop star Justin Timberlake to endorse it, it seems the golden arches do not sparkle in the eyes of consumers.
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations