Blog: Tesco. The UK loves you, it loves you not
Dean Best | 15 May 2008
Truism number one of the UK grocery sector – everyone hates Tesco.
Truism number two (not grocery-related) – everyone loves Justin Timberlake.
Alas, cliché-watchers, both of these apparent axioms of life have been dismissed by a survey into the UK’s best-loved brands.
Tesco, demonized for apparently screwing suppliers, forcing small shops out of business and (almost) taking over the UK, was named as the second most-liked brand in a survey by Marketing magazine.
The chaps at Cheshunt shouldn’t get too carried away, however. In a sign, perhaps, that Tesco does polarise opinion, the company was also named the UK’s most hated supermarket.
Brits, however, hate at least five more brands than they hate Tesco. And, at number one was McDonald’s.
Despite spending heaps of cash making its menu more healthy and signing up pop star Justin Timberlake to endorse it, it seems the golden arches do not sparkle in the eyes of consumers.
UK consumers are being urged to think of other ways to use their jack-o-lanterns and cut the millions of tonnes of pumpkin that is wasted at this time of year....
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Pladis stepping up growth investments
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report