Blog: Tesco's South Korean subway shopping scheme impresses
Petah Marian | 24 June 2011
Often when I take to this blog it's to poke fun or be critical of things, but this time around I've found something to get particularly excited about.
This impressive video of Tesco's Homeplus subway shopping scheme in South Korea has been making its way around the internet over the past 24 hours.
Tesco launched the scheme, which allows customers to shop using QR codes and billboards on a subway platform, as a means of competing with the country's number one retailer, E-Mart, without adding any more stores.
Customers scan QR codes under the images of the products they want, and when the online purchase is done, the goods are delivered to their door once they get home.
According to the agency that produced the campaign (or is it store concept?), Cheil Worldwide, the campaign increased Tesco's online sales by 130% and made Homeplut become the number one online grocer in the country, and a "very close" second offline.
French politicians have passed legislation that bans large stores from throwing away unsold food in a bid to tackle waste....
The make-up of the ingredients in baby food in the US is under some scrutiny, with Campbell Soup Co. and Nestle attracting criticism from consumer watchdogs....
UK cash-and-carry and convenience retailer Booker Group has struck a deal to buy the Londis and Budgens symbol retail chains from Ireland's Musgrave Group - and emphasised the changing retail landscap...
US efforts to liberalise international trade faced something of a roller coaster ride this week, as the Senate first voted down Barack Obama's proposals only to reach a compromise that would give the ...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Food industry news of week: GMOs, Arla, Mondelez
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report