Blog: Tesco's World Cup singing sandwich
Dean Best | 7 June 2010
Like 99.9% of the UK population, you must be gripped by World Cup fever and, for those who have flags attached to their cars, draped out of their windows or will have them painted on their face, Tesco has the ideal lunch for you - a sandwich that sings a football chant.
The limited-edition jalapeno chicken sandwich comes in packaging that, when opened, triggers the football chant ‘ole ole ole ole’.
The packaging uses the same sound chips used in those oh-so-hilarious greetings cards you get sent by a 'mad' uncle or 'crazy' aunt.
Nonetheless, Tesco thinks the sandwiches will go down well with football fans.
Tesco food developer Laura Fagan said: "We think the sandwiches will be popular snacks for anyone wanting to see the lunchtime or afternoon games and for that reason we wanted to offer fans something substantial."
Something substantial and, I guess, something else to annoy the office grump who will shun the chance to watch any of the games because they are incredibly busy.
(At the time of writing, England are 1-0 up against local South African side Platinum Stars in our final warm-up/friendly/kickabout before Saturday's first proper match against the US. Although never mind the score, we are on injury watch).
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016