Blog: Tesco's World Cup singing sandwich
Dean Best | 7 June 2010
Like 99.9% of the UK population, you must be gripped by World Cup fever and, for those who have flags attached to their cars, draped out of their windows or will have them painted on their face, Tesco has the ideal lunch for you - a sandwich that sings a football chant.
The limited-edition jalapeno chicken sandwich comes in packaging that, when opened, triggers the football chant ‘ole ole ole ole’.
The packaging uses the same sound chips used in those oh-so-hilarious greetings cards you get sent by a 'mad' uncle or 'crazy' aunt.
Nonetheless, Tesco thinks the sandwiches will go down well with football fans.
Tesco food developer Laura Fagan said: "We think the sandwiches will be popular snacks for anyone wanting to see the lunchtime or afternoon games and for that reason we wanted to offer fans something substantial."
Something substantial and, I guess, something else to annoy the office grump who will shun the chance to watch any of the games because they are incredibly busy.
(At the time of writing, England are 1-0 up against local South African side Platinum Stars in our final warm-up/friendly/kickabout before Saturday's first proper match against the US. Although never mind the score, we are on injury watch).
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report