Blog: Tesco's World Cup singing sandwich
Dean Best | 7 June 2010
Like 99.9% of the UK population, you must be gripped by World Cup fever and, for those who have flags attached to their cars, draped out of their windows or will have them painted on their face, Tesco has the ideal lunch for you - a sandwich that sings a football chant.
The limited-edition jalapeno chicken sandwich comes in packaging that, when opened, triggers the football chant ‘ole ole ole ole’.
The packaging uses the same sound chips used in those oh-so-hilarious greetings cards you get sent by a 'mad' uncle or 'crazy' aunt.
Nonetheless, Tesco thinks the sandwiches will go down well with football fans.
Tesco food developer Laura Fagan said: "We think the sandwiches will be popular snacks for anyone wanting to see the lunchtime or afternoon games and for that reason we wanted to offer fans something substantial."
Something substantial and, I guess, something else to annoy the office grump who will shun the chance to watch any of the games because they are incredibly busy.
(At the time of writing, England are 1-0 up against local South African side Platinum Stars in our final warm-up/friendly/kickabout before Saturday's first proper match against the US. Although never mind the score, we are on injury watch).
US fans of British chocolate imports have taken to social media to vent their frustration after Hershey earlier this week reached a settlement with an importer to stop distributing British-made candy ...
Ads are commonly a bone of contention in this industry, with food manufacturers regularly coming under fire for what they believe is creative use of media. ...
Singapore-based agribusiness giant Wilmar International is to publish more information on how it sources its palm oil, a move welcomed by environmentalists....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report