Blog: The English are from Mars, the Scots are from Venus
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 June 2006
There are a few things you can be absolutely certain about - death and taxes, they say, are a given. But to that list I would like to add the inevitability that, when England play anyone at any sport, our nearest and dearest 'friends' – ie Scotland and Wales – would walk across hot coals before supporting us.
This oldest of rivalries has taken on some strange forms over the years, but you would hardly expect a Mars bar to be the centre of the latest twist. However, according to local reports, an Inverness corner shop has stopped stocking Mars bars because they have been renamed “Believe” to support England's bid for the World Cup.
The shop owner, Keith O'Rourke, said he was simply creating a haven for shoppers fed up of being bombarded by references to the England team's challenge, according to the Aberdeen Press & Journal.
Scotland, of course, haven’t qualified for the World Cup. I am not sure what other products Mr O’Rourke stocks, but I hear his grapes are a little sour.
Chris Brook-Carter, group news editor and acting editor of just-food.com
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review