Blog: The food industry - it's tiring work
Dean Best | 6 November 2007
We all burn the midnight oil every now and then. Keeping up the coverage on an international news service for the food industry can be just as tiring as late-night M&A discussions over that a company you just have to buy, I bet.
Executives at consumer goods giant Unilever must have put in a long shift last night, securing a late-night deal with striking workers in the Netherlands.
The agreement ended weeks of strikes and protests at Unilever’s plans to close three sites in the Netherlands as part of its worldwide restructuring.
Comment from the unions was hard to come by today. Frans van de Veen, lead negotiator at Dutch trade union CNV, was apparently taking a hard-earned rest after securing compensation for the affected workers and an improved pay deal for those who will remain. “He was up all night and he is now probably in bed,” an insider told just-food.
No doubt Unilever execs were also sleeping easy; the closures will go ahead and the agreement also averted possible supply issues with stocks running dangerously low.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review