Blog: The food industry - it's tiring work
Dean Best | 6 November 2007
We all burn the midnight oil every now and then. Keeping up the coverage on an international news service for the food industry can be just as tiring as late-night M&A discussions over that a company you just have to buy, I bet.
Executives at consumer goods giant Unilever must have put in a long shift last night, securing a late-night deal with striking workers in the Netherlands.
The agreement ended weeks of strikes and protests at Unilever’s plans to close three sites in the Netherlands as part of its worldwide restructuring.
Comment from the unions was hard to come by today. Frans van de Veen, lead negotiator at Dutch trade union CNV, was apparently taking a hard-earned rest after securing compensation for the affected workers and an improved pay deal for those who will remain. “He was up all night and he is now probably in bed,” an insider told just-food.
No doubt Unilever execs were also sleeping easy; the closures will go ahead and the agreement also averted possible supply issues with stocks running dangerously low.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities