Blog: The jury is out over what lies ahead for Northern Foods
Dean Best | 24 January 2011
Now that Boparan Holdings has shown its hand in the battle to buy Northern Foods, there are competing theories over what will happen next.
Will Greencore, the Irish food group with which Northern looked set to merge, return with an improved offer to tempt the UK group's shareholders?
Would a combination of Greencore and Northern generate higher long-term value than a coming together of Boparan Holdings and Northern?
Even if Greencore comes back with a better bid, should Northern accept it?
Having argued here that a merger with Greencore remains a better long-term bet for Northern and its shareholders, it was interesting to speak with one analyst in Dublin who took an opposing stance.
Joe Gill of stockbrokers Bloxham argued that a successful but higher bid for Northern from Greencore would load more debt onto the combined business. The all-cash offer from Boparan Holdings should be more appealing to Northern's investors, he argued.
Moreover, Gill said shareholders in both Greencore and Northern would do well to remember that, for all the Irish firm's insistence that a merger would create significant savings, there can be no certainty that the synergies would materialise.
Greencore and Northern shareholders are due to vote on the plans to merge next Monday. No doubt there will be plenty to chew over, and more twists and turns, in the days ahead.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020