Blog: The kind of headline that makes me groan
Catherine Sleep | 23 November 2004
“Chocolate could be cough medicine”, dangles BBC Online tantalisingly before readers’ eyes today, introducing a story about theobromine, an ingredient in chocolate that might, just might, ease coughing.
Goodbye coughing, hello obesity! How about looking for other foods that contain theobromine? Oh and by the way, theobromine is thought to be a diuretic, so while your coughing might be eased you might also experience other less desirable side effects.
Of course, if you read the whole article, none of the expert sources quoted recommend self-medicating with chocolate, but the way it is presented implies that this is a reasonable outcome. Not helpful!
UPDATE: Nipped to the Post Office at lunchtime and sure enough the wheezy elderly gentleman queuing in front of me assured the counter staff that he'd soon be rid of his cough as he'd just heard on the news that chocolate was far better than cough medicine.... some people do believe what they hear on TV, you see.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities