Blog: The kind of headline that makes me groan
Catherine Sleep | 23 November 2004
“Chocolate could be cough medicine”, dangles BBC Online tantalisingly before readers’ eyes today, introducing a story about theobromine, an ingredient in chocolate that might, just might, ease coughing.
Goodbye coughing, hello obesity! How about looking for other foods that contain theobromine? Oh and by the way, theobromine is thought to be a diuretic, so while your coughing might be eased you might also experience other less desirable side effects.
Of course, if you read the whole article, none of the expert sources quoted recommend self-medicating with chocolate, but the way it is presented implies that this is a reasonable outcome. Not helpful!
UPDATE: Nipped to the Post Office at lunchtime and sure enough the wheezy elderly gentleman queuing in front of me assured the counter staff that he'd soon be rid of his cough as he'd just heard on the news that chocolate was far better than cough medicine.... some people do believe what they hear on TV, you see.
A year after union officials alleged Fyffes abused workers on plantations in Central America - and called on the produce giant to be kicked out of the Ethical Trading Initiative forum - the company is...
Much of the chatter about where 3G Capital could look next has centred on packaged food - but might the private-equity fund be about to extend its foodservice empire?...
Headlines that Mead Johnson's board has backed Reckitt Benckiser's takeover bid will no doubt overshadow the other news on the group this week – that it is facing a US lawsuit from a “whistle blower” ...
Kantar Worldpanel issued its monthly supermarket share data in the UK this morning - and the numbers showed a change in the identity of the country's top five food retailers....
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Is Mondelez's margin target hurting sales?
- Will Kellogg's DSD exit help it grow in US snacks?
- Nestle plans restructuring as 2016 profit misses
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kraft Heinz returns to organic growth, ups margins
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid