Blog: The language of food texture
Dean Best | 19 May 2009
Getting to know what makes consumers' taste buds tick is critical for anyone working on their company's latest NPD.
Today, a missive from food ingredients group National Starch Food Innovation trumpeted something the company calls “Texicon”, a “guide that brings the language of texture to life”.
Texicon, the company claims, “connects consumer needs” (like statisfaction or gratification) to the “specific attributes” in food that satify them (like whether a food is “airy” or “crispy” or “fluffy”).
Antje Baumgarten, marketing manager for textural innovation at National Starch Food Innovation, says: “Although every eating experience is highly individual, the Texicon brings us one step closer to helping manufacturers understand what makes consumers tick.”
Texicon is also translated into five languages – English, French, Greman, Spanish and Russian.
NPD is often a gamble and, in these economic times, one of expensive high stakes.
One ingredients firm reckons it has the langauge of food mastered.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report