Blog: The language of food texture
Dean Best | 19 May 2009
Getting to know what makes consumers' taste buds tick is critical for anyone working on their company's latest NPD.
Today, a missive from food ingredients group National Starch Food Innovation trumpeted something the company calls “Texicon”, a “guide that brings the language of texture to life”.
Texicon, the company claims, “connects consumer needs” (like statisfaction or gratification) to the “specific attributes” in food that satify them (like whether a food is “airy” or “crispy” or “fluffy”).
Antje Baumgarten, marketing manager for textural innovation at National Starch Food Innovation, says: “Although every eating experience is highly individual, the Texicon brings us one step closer to helping manufacturers understand what makes consumers tick.”
Texicon is also translated into five languages – English, French, Greman, Spanish and Russian.
NPD is often a gamble and, in these economic times, one of expensive high stakes.
One ingredients firm reckons it has the langauge of food mastered.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review