Blog: The real ‘clever milk’
Catherine Sleep | 8 February 2006
Browse the dairy section of a UK supermarket today and you’ll notice a plethora of new milks. What once was a commodity product is now sophisticated and increasingly high-end. Bedtime milk, goat milk, soy milk, organic milk, clever milk…. Clever milk, what’s that?
St. Ivel advance contains Omega-3 essential fatty acids and just to make it easier for time-pressed parents, they’ve hung a big purple “Clever Milk” tag around the carton neck. Cunningly, they’ve persuaded child development guru Professor Robert Winston to pose with a bottle of it alongside some text advising parents of the benefits of Omega-3. Perhaps most impressive of all is the fact that St. Ivel has managed to bag the URL www. Omega3.co.uk
It’s true we need to increase uptake of Omega-3 in the national diet, and there is anecdotal (emphasis on the ‘anecdotal’) evidence to suggest that Omega-3 may improve learning and concentration in some children. But this is not enough to justify the ‘clever milk’ tag. After all, at least one milk is far more deserving of it – breast milk.
Breast milk is free, it’s convenient, it perfectly matches the nutritional needs of an individual baby. It helps avoid allergies and passes on important antibodies to protect from infection. It becomes more watery in hot weather to aid infant hydration, and adjusts supply as the infant ages and gets more nutrition from other sources.
Now that really is clever.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report