Blog: The real ‘clever milk’
Catherine Sleep | 8 February 2006
Browse the dairy section of a UK supermarket today and you’ll notice a plethora of new milks. What once was a commodity product is now sophisticated and increasingly high-end. Bedtime milk, goat milk, soy milk, organic milk, clever milk…. Clever milk, what’s that?
St. Ivel advance contains Omega-3 essential fatty acids and just to make it easier for time-pressed parents, they’ve hung a big purple “Clever Milk” tag around the carton neck. Cunningly, they’ve persuaded child development guru Professor Robert Winston to pose with a bottle of it alongside some text advising parents of the benefits of Omega-3. Perhaps most impressive of all is the fact that St. Ivel has managed to bag the URL www. Omega3.co.uk
It’s true we need to increase uptake of Omega-3 in the national diet, and there is anecdotal (emphasis on the ‘anecdotal’) evidence to suggest that Omega-3 may improve learning and concentration in some children. But this is not enough to justify the ‘clever milk’ tag. After all, at least one milk is far more deserving of it – breast milk.
Breast milk is free, it’s convenient, it perfectly matches the nutritional needs of an individual baby. It helps avoid allergies and passes on important antibodies to protect from infection. It becomes more watery in hot weather to aid infant hydration, and adjusts supply as the infant ages and gets more nutrition from other sources.
Now that really is clever.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review