Blog: Thorntons gets sentimental with new chocolate range
Michelle Russell | 12 September 2012
UK confectioner Thorntons has taken a more sentimental approach to its NPD in a bid to boost profits with the launch of a range of female-targeted chocolates.
In what could be seen as a mirror of the well known Swizzels Matlow Love Hearts sweets, Thorntons is set to roll out an unnamed range of chocolates carrying individual messages.
Targeted at the female market, the brand has been designed to "encourage customers to reappraise the box of chocolates, reappraise Thorntons and move away from the methodological view of what a box of chocolates is there to do", chief executive Jonathan Hart told journalists on the firm's earnings call this morning (12 September).
Hart said each individual chocolate is branded with a sentiment, of which he gave a few examples of: "just because" and "you're so fabulous".
"They are beautifully packaged, essentially encouraging the consumer to buy the product on sentiment. They don't have a unifying sub brand name but they are one of the mos important launches we've done for some time," he added.
The chocolate range is due to hit store shelves from October.
The UK confectioner this morning saw its share price rise, despite lower full-year profits as an improved second-half performance led to better-than-expected pre-tax earnings.
Thorntons said its full-year performance was affected by "weak consumer demand caused by a decline in discretionary income, combined with structural problems in many of the UK's high streets".
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image