Blog: Three charged over 2013 horsemeat scandal, UK announces
Dean Best | 26 August 2016
Horsemeat scandal broke when burgers on sale at Tesco were found to contain ingredient
Three years on, the horsemeat scandal that rocked Europe's food industry in early 2013 seems like a distant memory but today (26 August) came news in the UK of three individuals being charged over the affair.
Ulrick Nielsen, a 57-year-old from Denmark, Alex Ostler-Beech, 43, from Hull, and Andronicos Sideras, aged 54 of Southgate, London, will appear at the City of London Magistrates Court on Tuesday 27 September, the Crown Prosecution Service said today.
"After carefully considering evidence from the UK and overseas, the CPS has decided that there is sufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest to charge these three men," Kristin Jones, head of specialist fraud for the CPS, said.
The three men have been charged of between 1 January 2012 and 31 October 2012 conspiring together, and with others, to "defraud purchasers of goods that contained, wholly or in part, a mixture of beef and horsemeat, by dishonestly arranging for beef and horsemeat to be combined for sale as beef", the CPS statement continued.
The story broke in January 2013 when it emerged horsemeat had been found in Tesco burgers on sale in the UK and Ireland.
The contamination, however, was not solely in products in Tesco stores, with retailers across Europe pulling products.
Branded manufacturers were also caught up in the affair, with companies including Nestle and Findus UK recalling products that contained horsemeat.
Sectors: Meat & poultry
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations