Blog: Titillating marketing-speak from Mars
Dean Best | 24 July 2008
Marketing-speak. There really is no end to the weird and wonderful words generated by that wacky world of marketing.
This week's new entry – gastrosexual.
No, it doesn't mean “cooking naked”.
Nor does it mean “cooking food to improve your sex drive”.
(Are we a little bit frustrated at just-food Towers?).
Apparently, according to Uncle Ben's and Dolmio owner Mars, a gastrosexual is – perhaps less excitingly – someone who simply loves cooking.
“This is a term for people that really get some pleasure out of cooking and actually want to get involved in it,” Mars Food marketing director Paul Aikens told us earlier this week. “The reason that they cook is basically for the enjoyment of cooking, and also for the praise they get from the people they have cooked it for.”
Aikens was speaking as Mars Food launched its first brand in the UK for nine years, the ethnic cuisine kit PurAsia.
Mars has high hopes for PurAsia and believes it will tap into the growing desire among UK consumers to replicate the taste of food served up in Asian restaurants at home.
Not sure whether they'll all be labelling themselves gastrosexuals, mind.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report