Blog: Titillating marketing-speak from Mars
Dean Best | 24 July 2008
Marketing-speak. There really is no end to the weird and wonderful words generated by that wacky world of marketing.
This week's new entry – gastrosexual.
No, it doesn't mean “cooking naked”.
Nor does it mean “cooking food to improve your sex drive”.
(Are we a little bit frustrated at just-food Towers?).
Apparently, according to Uncle Ben's and Dolmio owner Mars, a gastrosexual is – perhaps less excitingly – someone who simply loves cooking.
“This is a term for people that really get some pleasure out of cooking and actually want to get involved in it,” Mars Food marketing director Paul Aikens told us earlier this week. “The reason that they cook is basically for the enjoyment of cooking, and also for the praise they get from the people they have cooked it for.”
Aikens was speaking as Mars Food launched its first brand in the UK for nine years, the ethnic cuisine kit PurAsia.
Mars has high hopes for PurAsia and believes it will tap into the growing desire among UK consumers to replicate the taste of food served up in Asian restaurants at home.
Not sure whether they'll all be labelling themselves gastrosexuals, mind.
Today (23 December) is just-food's last day before closing for Christmas. We'll return, raring to go on Tuesday 3 January - but of course there's been plenty of top-notch content that has gone live in...
- Comment: Premier has more to ponder than Brexit
- Trump seen as negative for global food trade
- 2017: food policy hotspots in the UK, EU and US
- Analysis: B&G Foods balancing growth and decline
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- Weetabix takeover talk gathers pace
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk
- Unilever rebrands I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
- Mondelez sells Vegemite to Bega
- Kellogg to slash 250 jobs