Blog: Titillating marketing-speak from Mars
Dean Best | 24 July 2008
Marketing-speak. There really is no end to the weird and wonderful words generated by that wacky world of marketing.
This week's new entry – gastrosexual.
No, it doesn't mean “cooking naked”.
Nor does it mean “cooking food to improve your sex drive”.
(Are we a little bit frustrated at just-food Towers?).
Apparently, according to Uncle Ben's and Dolmio owner Mars, a gastrosexual is – perhaps less excitingly – someone who simply loves cooking.
“This is a term for people that really get some pleasure out of cooking and actually want to get involved in it,” Mars Food marketing director Paul Aikens told us earlier this week. “The reason that they cook is basically for the enjoyment of cooking, and also for the praise they get from the people they have cooked it for.”
Aikens was speaking as Mars Food launched its first brand in the UK for nine years, the ethnic cuisine kit PurAsia.
Mars has high hopes for PurAsia and believes it will tap into the growing desire among UK consumers to replicate the taste of food served up in Asian restaurants at home.
Not sure whether they'll all be labelling themselves gastrosexuals, mind.
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
Greenpeace's long-running campaign against UK tuna brand John West, owned by seafood giant Thai Union, is now directing its fire against Sainsbury's....
The Obama administration appears to have conceded the landmark Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal will not be pushed through in the lame-duck session of Congress before Donald Trump is inaugur...
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- What Premier CEO Gavin Darby thinks about Brexit
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti