Blog: Titillating marketing-speak from Mars
Dean Best | 24 July 2008
Marketing-speak. There really is no end to the weird and wonderful words generated by that wacky world of marketing.
This week's new entry – gastrosexual.
No, it doesn't mean “cooking naked”.
Nor does it mean “cooking food to improve your sex drive”.
(Are we a little bit frustrated at just-food Towers?).
Apparently, according to Uncle Ben's and Dolmio owner Mars, a gastrosexual is – perhaps less excitingly – someone who simply loves cooking.
“This is a term for people that really get some pleasure out of cooking and actually want to get involved in it,” Mars Food marketing director Paul Aikens told us earlier this week. “The reason that they cook is basically for the enjoyment of cooking, and also for the praise they get from the people they have cooked it for.”
Aikens was speaking as Mars Food launched its first brand in the UK for nine years, the ethnic cuisine kit PurAsia.
Mars has high hopes for PurAsia and believes it will tap into the growing desire among UK consumers to replicate the taste of food served up in Asian restaurants at home.
Not sure whether they'll all be labelling themselves gastrosexuals, mind.
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities