Blog: Today is D-Day for chocolate
Dean Best | 25 April 2007
Chocoholics – your chocolate needs you! That's the message from US firm Guittard Chocolate, which is fighting proposals that would allow producers to use vegetable fats and lower-cost milk substitutes in their chocolate.
Guittard has launched an online petition, where chocolate lovers can lobby the US Food and Drug Administration. And today (25 April) is the last day to file your protest.
Guittard argues that allowing the use of cheaper ingredients would damage the current “gold standard” for chocolate.
Guittard president Gary Guittard says: "While all companies in the industry may have financial and economic concerns about the cost of doing business, the chocolate industry prides itself on delivering to the consumer high-quality products.”
Dry weather in Africa is pushing up the cost of cocoa butter and cocoa solids and bigger chocolate producers in the US, through the US Chocolate Manufacturers Association, want to redefine what constitutes chocolate.
Who do you side with?
Tyson Foods has completed its US$8.55bn acquisition of Hillshire Brands, with shares in the Jimmy Dean sausage maker delisted before the market opened today (29 August) - and its CEO leaving the busin...
New Zealand dairy group Synlait Milk revealed today (28 August) it has hit the "major milestone" of receiving regulatory clearance to begin exporting finished product from its new NZ$28.5m dry blendin...
ConAgra Foods has responded to investor criticism of its palm oil usage by committing to source 100% sustainable palm oil by December 2015....
Fresh produce growers in the EU have secured assistance from the European Commission in the wake of the Russian embargo and Brussels has indicated it would be prepared to step in again....
- On the money: Hormel still looking for M&A
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Fonterra, Beingmate launch infant formula JV
- Mondelez eyes snacks categories in India
- Parmalat nears Lacteos Brasil acquisition
- UK firm Pasta Reale enters administration
- Italy yoghurt woes lead to Emmi profit warning