Blog: Today is D-Day for chocolate
Dean Best | 25 April 2007
Chocoholics – your chocolate needs you! That's the message from US firm Guittard Chocolate, which is fighting proposals that would allow producers to use vegetable fats and lower-cost milk substitutes in their chocolate.
Guittard has launched an online petition, where chocolate lovers can lobby the US Food and Drug Administration. And today (25 April) is the last day to file your protest.
Guittard argues that allowing the use of cheaper ingredients would damage the current “gold standard” for chocolate.
Guittard president Gary Guittard says: "While all companies in the industry may have financial and economic concerns about the cost of doing business, the chocolate industry prides itself on delivering to the consumer high-quality products.”
Dry weather in Africa is pushing up the cost of cocoa butter and cocoa solids and bigger chocolate producers in the US, through the US Chocolate Manufacturers Association, want to redefine what constitutes chocolate.
Who do you side with?
US fans of British chocolate imports have taken to social media to vent their frustration after Hershey earlier this week reached a settlement with an importer to stop distributing British-made candy ...
Ads are commonly a bone of contention in this industry, with food manufacturers regularly coming under fire for what they believe is creative use of media. ...
Singapore-based agribusiness giant Wilmar International is to publish more information on how it sources its palm oil, a move welcomed by environmentalists....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report