Blog: Today is D-Day for chocolate
Dean Best | 25 April 2007
Chocoholics – your chocolate needs you! That's the message from US firm Guittard Chocolate, which is fighting proposals that would allow producers to use vegetable fats and lower-cost milk substitutes in their chocolate.
Guittard has launched an online petition, where chocolate lovers can lobby the US Food and Drug Administration. And today (25 April) is the last day to file your protest.
Guittard argues that allowing the use of cheaper ingredients would damage the current “gold standard” for chocolate.
Guittard president Gary Guittard says: "While all companies in the industry may have financial and economic concerns about the cost of doing business, the chocolate industry prides itself on delivering to the consumer high-quality products.”
Dry weather in Africa is pushing up the cost of cocoa butter and cocoa solids and bigger chocolate producers in the US, through the US Chocolate Manufacturers Association, want to redefine what constitutes chocolate.
Who do you side with?
After starting the week with a surprise stock exchange announcement that hit its shares and called into questions its accounting practices, Hain Celestial could be set to receive a boost in the UK....
An indication of how tough trading conditions are in much of Europe emerged today (17 August) with figures from Nielsen suggesting in the second quarter of the year the region's FMCG sector had grown ...
US-based WhiteWave Foods has set a date for its shareholders to seal the deal on the planned US$12.5bn takeover of the group by French dairy giant Danone....
Announced last month, it is one of the more notable M&A deals in the international food sector of 2016. But an organic advocacy group in the US has taken aim at Danone's planned US$12.5bn takeover of ...
- Nestle on China, candy, nutrition - analysis
- What lies ahead for Tyrrells and Amplify?
- Hain accounting issue rounds off problem year
- England child obesity plan should cheer industry
- Why Jet.com purchase could boost Wal-Mart online
- Mondelez buys rest of Vietnam snacks business
- Lotus Bakeries enjoys growth organically, via M&A
- Smucker cuts forecast as sales decline
- Unite outlines 2 Sisters stance on UK pizza site
- Arla Foods to help Nigeria's dairy development