Blog: Today is D-Day for chocolate
Dean Best | 25 April 2007
Chocoholics – your chocolate needs you! That's the message from US firm Guittard Chocolate, which is fighting proposals that would allow producers to use vegetable fats and lower-cost milk substitutes in their chocolate.
Guittard has launched an online petition, where chocolate lovers can lobby the US Food and Drug Administration. And today (25 April) is the last day to file your protest.
Guittard argues that allowing the use of cheaper ingredients would damage the current “gold standard” for chocolate.
Guittard president Gary Guittard says: "While all companies in the industry may have financial and economic concerns about the cost of doing business, the chocolate industry prides itself on delivering to the consumer high-quality products.”
Dry weather in Africa is pushing up the cost of cocoa butter and cocoa solids and bigger chocolate producers in the US, through the US Chocolate Manufacturers Association, want to redefine what constitutes chocolate.
Who do you side with?
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- Decision on US dietary advice missed opportunity
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Retail margin management in spotlight
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- PepsiCo, Coca-Cola 'battle for stake in Chobani'
- Arla banned from selling skyr yoghurt in Finland
- Kerry eyes more European markets for Cheestrings
- Raisio revamps UK cereal arm, jobs to go
- Earth's Best infant formula line launched in China
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Marks & Spencer Plc in Retailing (United Kingdom)