Blog: Today is D-Day for chocolate
Dean Best | 25 April 2007
Chocoholics – your chocolate needs you! That's the message from US firm Guittard Chocolate, which is fighting proposals that would allow producers to use vegetable fats and lower-cost milk substitutes in their chocolate.
Guittard has launched an online petition, where chocolate lovers can lobby the US Food and Drug Administration. And today (25 April) is the last day to file your protest.
Guittard argues that allowing the use of cheaper ingredients would damage the current “gold standard” for chocolate.
Guittard president Gary Guittard says: "While all companies in the industry may have financial and economic concerns about the cost of doing business, the chocolate industry prides itself on delivering to the consumer high-quality products.”
Dry weather in Africa is pushing up the cost of cocoa butter and cocoa solids and bigger chocolate producers in the US, through the US Chocolate Manufacturers Association, want to redefine what constitutes chocolate.
Who do you side with?
French politicians have passed legislation that bans large stores from throwing away unsold food in a bid to tackle waste....
The make-up of the ingredients in baby food in the US is under some scrutiny, with Campbell Soup Co. and Nestle attracting criticism from consumer watchdogs....
UK cash-and-carry and convenience retailer Booker Group has struck a deal to buy the Londis and Budgens symbol retail chains from Ireland's Musgrave Group - and emphasised the changing retail landscap...
US efforts to liberalise international trade faced something of a roller coaster ride this week, as the Senate first voted down Barack Obama's proposals only to reach a compromise that would give the ...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)