Blog: Today’s the day!
Catherine Sleep | 19 September 2005
For lucky pupils at one school in London, today is the day that school dinners took a turn for the better. Or so it’s to be hoped. Gorringe Park primary school in Merton is part of a project run by contract catering company Initial to introduce meals from the Jamie Oliver menu.
Alan Coode, headmaster of Gorringe Park, took the very public step of putting photographs of each day’s school dinner on the school website. Nobody is claiming that this unexpected publicity prompted Initial to choose Gorringe Park for a menu upgrade ahead of schedule, but it seems more than coincidence.
To see how the food looks now, tomorrow and every day from now on, not to mention some of the delights served up last week, click the link below. Down with turkey twizzlers, up with slow-cooked balsamic beef with mushrooms, creamy mashed potatoes and broccoli.
Today (23 December) is just-food's last day before closing for Christmas. We'll return, raring to go on Tuesday 3 January - but of course there's been plenty of top-notch content that has gone live in...
- Comment: Premier has more to ponder than Brexit
- Trump seen as negative for global food trade
- 2017: food policy hotspots in the UK, EU and US
- Analysis: B&G Foods balancing growth and decline
- Why near-term takeover of Mead Johnson unlikely
- Weetabix takeover talk gathers pace
- Unilever rebrands I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
- Boparan confirms interest in Fox's Biscuits
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk
- Update - Pladis not bidding for Weetabix