Blog: TV chef goes to Downing Street
Catherine Sleep | 30 March 2005
TV chef Jamie Oliver, whose Channel 4 series Jamie's School Dinners has sparked widespread outrage about the state of school meals in England, has presented a petition to Downing Street as part of a campaign to win more funding for school dinners.
During the series, Oliver attempted to persuade schools to ditch processed, ready-made food, and replace it with fresh, nutritious food, prepared from scratch every day. Despite difficulties convincing both dinner ladies and kids to accept the changes, the TV chef achieved fantastic results, winning the support of those involved, and also succeeded in igniting public debate on the subject and even making school dinners an election issue.
But it wasn’t all good news. Apparently sales of Turkey Twizzlers, criticised by Oliver for containing too much fat, were 32% higher last month then a year earlier.
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Aryzta appoints Gary McGann as chairman
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities