Blog: Two becomes bun - Baby Spice and Hovis
Dean Best | 16 January 2009
The pairing of celebrities and food brands often raises eyebrows – think last year's campaign that brought Sex Pistols front man Johnny Rotten together with Country Life butter.
Going even further back, we even had the likes of Manchester United football legend Ryan Giggs peddling Quorn in his youth.
The latest surprising combination is ex-Spice Girl Emma Bunton – aka Baby Spice – and Hovis.
This week, Bunton helped launch the Hovis Wholemeal Challenge to in a bid to get the nation to eat more healthily.
Apparently – so says Emma – she's recently switched from white to wholemeal bread and she thinks the rest of the nation should follow suit.
“Switching to wholemeal bread is a small change that has made a real difference to me and my family so I’d recommend you give it a go,” says the former proponent of Girl Power.
However, looking at the video to promote the campaign, I'm not sure even Baby Spice would really have the powers of persuasion to convince a group of builders in a British cafe to change the bread for their bacon butty.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review