Blog: Two becomes bun - Baby Spice and Hovis
Dean Best | 16 January 2009
The pairing of celebrities and food brands often raises eyebrows – think last year's campaign that brought Sex Pistols front man Johnny Rotten together with Country Life butter.
Going even further back, we even had the likes of Manchester United football legend Ryan Giggs peddling Quorn in his youth.
The latest surprising combination is ex-Spice Girl Emma Bunton – aka Baby Spice – and Hovis.
This week, Bunton helped launch the Hovis Wholemeal Challenge to in a bid to get the nation to eat more healthily.
Apparently – so says Emma – she's recently switched from white to wholemeal bread and she thinks the rest of the nation should follow suit.
“Switching to wholemeal bread is a small change that has made a real difference to me and my family so I’d recommend you give it a go,” says the former proponent of Girl Power.
However, looking at the video to promote the campaign, I'm not sure even Baby Spice would really have the powers of persuasion to convince a group of builders in a British cafe to change the bread for their bacon butty.
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
Greenpeace's long-running campaign against UK tuna brand John West, owned by seafood giant Thai Union, is now directing its fire against Sainsbury's....
The Obama administration appears to have conceded the landmark Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal will not be pushed through in the lame-duck session of Congress before Donald Trump is inaugur...
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- ABF on Brexit, M&A and grocery - interview
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods