Blog: UB snack sale attracts more than usual suspects
Katy Askew | 12 October 2012
As the private equity owners of United Biscuits continue with the sale of the salty snacks arm of the business the process appears to have thrown up a few surprise bidders.
Back in March, Blackstone and PAI Partners revealed their plans to split UB in two and sell off the savoury snack unit, which houses brands such as KP and Hula Hoops. At the time, just-food took a look at who some of the main contenders were likely to be.
With a number of powerhouse brands and good distribution in the UK, it is clear that a number of strategic buyers have been attracted to the sale. The likes of Germany's Intersnack and Kellogg have been pipped as among the front runners.
However, it is the private equity sector that has made most headlines, with some surprise contenders emerging from among the ranks. A reported bid from Clayton Dubilier & Rice, a private equity firm advised by Sir Terry Leahy of former-Tesco fame got tongues wagging. And today (12 October), Sky news reported that Verlinvest - whose founder was Frederic de Mevius, a veteran of the Interbrew boardroom - was among those who tabled indicative offers over the past week.
Over the years, Verlinvest has backed a number of major consumer brands, including Glaceau Vitaminwater and Remy-Cointreau. Verlinvest was also a long-term shareholder in Interbrew, which is now part of AB-Inbev, the world's largest brewer.
Regardless of who is rumoured to have tabled bids, Blackstone and PAI are keeping mum on the subject. But, with the deadline for bids to be submitted passed, it is likely that some form of announcement is pending.
Opposition to the use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in food continues to prove a controversial issue....
Is there a link between the weather cooling and the food industry belt-tightening? It appears autumn is the prime season for food manufacturers to get their firms operating at maximum efficiencies, wi...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Fonterra's full-year results – 10 things to learn
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- ConAgra suggests there is life in old brands yet
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- McCormick India JV hit by row
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015