Blog: UglyRipe tomatoes
Catherine Sleep | 20 September 2006
It’s common nowadays to hear UK food writers bemoaning the standardisation of supermarket produce. Misshapen spuds and carrots are purely the preserve of village horticultural shows these days and we often wax lyrical about the authentic-looking peppers and courgettes that grace the shelves of stores in France and our other neighbours.
But it appears the fixation with standard-sized and –shaped fruit and veg isn’t restricted to the UK. A campaign is underway in Florida to protect an heirloom tomato variety from draconian legislation that rejects its ridged skin. Grown for flavour rather than looks, personally I’d love the chance to taste the UglyRipe tomato, and its growing fan base shares this view.
Minimum Grade Requirements have their place, but rules are there to be broken, if only very occasionally, and I have a feeling the UglyRipe tomato deserves to be cut a bit of slack. It’s hard enough to find a tomato that tastes like a tomato should these days; never mind insisting they win a beauty contest as well.
Photo from www.santasweets.com
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016