Blog: UglyRipe tomatoes
Catherine Sleep | 20 September 2006
It’s common nowadays to hear UK food writers bemoaning the standardisation of supermarket produce. Misshapen spuds and carrots are purely the preserve of village horticultural shows these days and we often wax lyrical about the authentic-looking peppers and courgettes that grace the shelves of stores in France and our other neighbours.
But it appears the fixation with standard-sized and –shaped fruit and veg isn’t restricted to the UK. A campaign is underway in Florida to protect an heirloom tomato variety from draconian legislation that rejects its ridged skin. Grown for flavour rather than looks, personally I’d love the chance to taste the UglyRipe tomato, and its growing fan base shares this view.
Minimum Grade Requirements have their place, but rules are there to be broken, if only very occasionally, and I have a feeling the UglyRipe tomato deserves to be cut a bit of slack. It’s hard enough to find a tomato that tastes like a tomato should these days; never mind insisting they win a beauty contest as well.
Photo from www.santasweets.com
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review