Blog: UK food manufacturers seek new export opportunities
Michelle Russell | 13 December 2012
Following a drive by the UK Government last month to boost the country's food exports to China, retailers and food manufacturers appear ever more anxious to find out how they can maxmise potential opportunities.
At a forum organised by the Food & Drink Export Association in London yesterday (13 December), UK food manufacturing and retailers heard from organisations offering insight on key export markets. The event also offered a chance to network with others in the industry.
The UK Government ensured its presence at the event and kicked off the morning emphasising the UK's increasing level of support for food exporters through free trade agreements, practical advice and knowledge-sharing.
David Heath, UK minister for environment, food and rural affairs, said the country's government was "absolutely committed" to helping the sector grow.
Other speakers included Peter Wilson of the Foreign Commonwealth Office who suggested South East Asia as a rapidly emerging export economy.
The BRIC markets, including China, of course, were high on the agenda for the majority of speakers also, with the FDEA citing South Africa as another potential key market of focus.
Check back on just-food for news from the event.
just-food is downing tools for the public holiday in England and Wales on Monday 31 August. We'll be back at our desks on Tuesday 1 September....
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
A lawsuit tabled in the US has brought fresh attention to the supply chain for prawns, which hit headlines around the world last year amid claims of slavery....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis