Blog: UK food manufacturers seek new export opportunities
Michelle Russell | 13 December 2012
Following a drive by the UK Government last month to boost the country's food exports to China, retailers and food manufacturers appear ever more anxious to find out how they can maxmise potential opportunities.
At a forum organised by the Food & Drink Export Association in London yesterday (13 December), UK food manufacturing and retailers heard from organisations offering insight on key export markets. The event also offered a chance to network with others in the industry.
The UK Government ensured its presence at the event and kicked off the morning emphasising the UK's increasing level of support for food exporters through free trade agreements, practical advice and knowledge-sharing.
David Heath, UK minister for environment, food and rural affairs, said the country's government was "absolutely committed" to helping the sector grow.
Other speakers included Peter Wilson of the Foreign Commonwealth Office who suggested South East Asia as a rapidly emerging export economy.
The BRIC markets, including China, of course, were high on the agenda for the majority of speakers also, with the FDEA citing South Africa as another potential key market of focus.
Check back on just-food for news from the event.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities