Blog: UK food manufacturers seek new export opportunities
Michelle Russell | 13 December 2012
Following a drive by the UK Government last month to boost the country's food exports to China, retailers and food manufacturers appear ever more anxious to find out how they can maxmise potential opportunities.
At a forum organised by the Food & Drink Export Association in London yesterday (13 December), UK food manufacturing and retailers heard from organisations offering insight on key export markets. The event also offered a chance to network with others in the industry.
The UK Government ensured its presence at the event and kicked off the morning emphasising the UK's increasing level of support for food exporters through free trade agreements, practical advice and knowledge-sharing.
David Heath, UK minister for environment, food and rural affairs, said the country's government was "absolutely committed" to helping the sector grow.
Other speakers included Peter Wilson of the Foreign Commonwealth Office who suggested South East Asia as a rapidly emerging export economy.
The BRIC markets, including China, of course, were high on the agenda for the majority of speakers also, with the FDEA citing South Africa as another potential key market of focus.
Check back on just-food for news from the event.
US fans of British chocolate imports have taken to social media to vent their frustration after Hershey earlier this week reached a settlement with an importer to stop distributing British-made candy ...
Ads are commonly a bone of contention in this industry, with food manufacturers regularly coming under fire for what they believe is creative use of media. ...
Singapore-based agribusiness giant Wilmar International is to publish more information on how it sources its palm oil, a move welcomed by environmentalists....
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Food marketing firmly on UK political agenda
- E-commerce: Online could offer growth in Russia
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- Mead Johnson offsets China slowdown
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report