Blog: UK food thinks global at IFE
Dean Best | 14 March 2011
News that UK food and drink exports broke the GBP10bn barrier in 2010 was formally announced at the IFE food-industry expo in London today (14 March).
Growth was driven by seafood, meats, prepared foods and dairy and, among the exhibitors at IFE, one dairy processor told just-food about its expansion overseas in recent weeks.
Organic dairy firm Rachel's revealed a flurry of international expansion into markets from Saudi Arabia to Malta.
The news will cheer those who are keen to see more international success for UK producers and who, since the demise of government-backed UK promotional body Food From Britain, have expressed concern that not enough is being done to push British food overseas.
However, some industry watchers used the announcement as a platform to highlight concerns around the future of food security and the UK's reliance on food imports.
Author Joanna Blythman said today that the "UK needs to focus on self-sufficiency" and that "most of the people in Britain are eating an import-heavy diet", particularly against the "backdrop of the climate crisis" Blythman claimed.
So, it seems that the UK food industry's international success may come not be welcomed by all.
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities