Blog: UK grocers battle the big chill
Dean Best | 20 December 2010
The 24-hour news channels here in the UK are talking about one thing - the weather - and the impact the snow, ice and plunging temperatures are having on what they call "Frozen Britain".
As we enter Christmas, retailers will no doubt be looking at till rolls with furrowed brows. According to data from retail researchers Synovate, footfall across the UK on Saturday was down almost a quarter on the same day last year.
The UK grocers just-food spoke to today insisted they were "performing well" despite the poor weather, although Tesco admitted it was "running a little bit behind schedule".
Nevertheless, Christmas shoppers do tend to buy a significant portion - around 20% - on impulse at this time of year and retailers and manufacturers across food and non-food will be hoping the bad weather will end as soon as possible.
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities