Blog: UK grocers battle the big chill
Dean Best | 20 December 2010
The 24-hour news channels here in the UK are talking about one thing - the weather - and the impact the snow, ice and plunging temperatures are having on what they call "Frozen Britain".
As we enter Christmas, retailers will no doubt be looking at till rolls with furrowed brows. According to data from retail researchers Synovate, footfall across the UK on Saturday was down almost a quarter on the same day last year.
The UK grocers just-food spoke to today insisted they were "performing well" despite the poor weather, although Tesco admitted it was "running a little bit behind schedule".
Nevertheless, Christmas shoppers do tend to buy a significant portion - around 20% - on impulse at this time of year and retailers and manufacturers across food and non-food will be hoping the bad weather will end as soon as possible.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020