Blog: UK grocers battle the big chill
Dean Best | 20 December 2010
The 24-hour news channels here in the UK are talking about one thing - the weather - and the impact the snow, ice and plunging temperatures are having on what they call "Frozen Britain".
As we enter Christmas, retailers will no doubt be looking at till rolls with furrowed brows. According to data from retail researchers Synovate, footfall across the UK on Saturday was down almost a quarter on the same day last year.
The UK grocers just-food spoke to today insisted they were "performing well" despite the poor weather, although Tesco admitted it was "running a little bit behind schedule".
Nevertheless, Christmas shoppers do tend to buy a significant portion - around 20% - on impulse at this time of year and retailers and manufacturers across food and non-food will be hoping the bad weather will end as soon as possible.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review