Blog: UK mums give the nation's beleagured brands a hug
Dean Best | 27 January 2009
Brand-owners in the UK may have felt a little hard done by of late, with some of the nation's major multiples trying to lure cash-strapped consumers to their own-label ranges.
The likes of Tesco and Sainsbury's – the latter with its Switch & Save campaign – have been active in pushing their private-label products, to the detriment, it could be argued, of the nation's household brands.
However, when we need comfort, we often look to our mothers and the likes of Heinz and Cadbury have been given a nice, warm hug from a group of UK mums.
According to a survey of 3,000 mums by thebabywebsite.com, over half of UK mums will not give up on their favourite brands despite the recession.
The survey generated a list of the top 20 brands among UK mums, with Heinz taking three of the top ten spots thanks to the company's ketchup, baked beans and soup.
The list, which can be seen here, also showed Cadbury and Walkers had made the top ten – a worrying sign, perhaps, for the health campaigners out there concerned about the health of the nation's children.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review