Blog: UK opens up for Aldi, Lidl
Dean Best | 3 July 2008
Hard discounters in the UK have had it tougher than in their country of origin – Germany – and many other parts of Europe where the format was quickly received and accepted into mass grocery retail.
Now, it seems, the fortunes of the likes of Aldi and Lidl are looking up.
Aldi has announced plans to invest GBP1.5bn (US$3bn) in the UK and open a store a week.
The company is, alongside Lidl, enjoying double-digit sales growth in the UK.
And, all the while, at the premium end, the likes of Marks & Spencer are finding the going tough.
This month's free management briefing for just-food subscribers takes a look at the major players and reviews the latest sales data and expansion plans from Aldi, Lidl and Netto.
The briefing highlights best-practice strategies that these players are taking in order to increase market share.
Adopting strategies such as private-label NPD, building on economic concerns and becoming more fashionable will ensure the discounters are here to stay.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review