Blog: UK opens up for Aldi, Lidl
Dean Best | 3 July 2008
Hard discounters in the UK have had it tougher than in their country of origin – Germany – and many other parts of Europe where the format was quickly received and accepted into mass grocery retail.
Now, it seems, the fortunes of the likes of Aldi and Lidl are looking up.
Aldi has announced plans to invest GBP1.5bn (US$3bn) in the UK and open a store a week.
The company is, alongside Lidl, enjoying double-digit sales growth in the UK.
And, all the while, at the premium end, the likes of Marks & Spencer are finding the going tough.
This month's free management briefing for just-food subscribers takes a look at the major players and reviews the latest sales data and expansion plans from Aldi, Lidl and Netto.
The briefing highlights best-practice strategies that these players are taking in order to increase market share.
Adopting strategies such as private-label NPD, building on economic concerns and becoming more fashionable will ensure the discounters are here to stay.
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities