Blog: UK shoppers happy to cast a wide net
Dean Best | 2 August 2007
Are UK consumers really buying into the “food miles” concept and demanding more locally produced food?
Market analysts Mintel says they are; a report from the organisation claims that over half of UK shoppers feel that there is not enough local food available in stores.
At first glance, these are worrying findings for those immersed in the sustainability debate. As has been argued on these pages before, concept of food miles remains easy for consumers to grasp but, in practice, it is too simplistic and we lose sight of a raft of wider sustainability issues.
How does, for instance, the issue of Fairtrade fit into a concept of food miles? And just how do the latest figures on Fairtrade sales fit with the idea that UK shoppers are clamouring for food from Kent instead of Kenya?
Figures from the Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International (FLO) said the amount of money spent on Fairtrade products soared by 41% in 2006.
Consumers worldwide spent EUR1.6bn (US$2.2bn) on Fairtrade goods last year, with cocoa, coffee, tea and bananas showing robust growth.
UK shopping habits are, indeed, a complex beast.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report