Blog: UK shoppers happy to cast a wide net
Dean Best | 2 August 2007
Are UK consumers really buying into the “food miles” concept and demanding more locally produced food?
Market analysts Mintel says they are; a report from the organisation claims that over half of UK shoppers feel that there is not enough local food available in stores.
At first glance, these are worrying findings for those immersed in the sustainability debate. As has been argued on these pages before, concept of food miles remains easy for consumers to grasp but, in practice, it is too simplistic and we lose sight of a raft of wider sustainability issues.
How does, for instance, the issue of Fairtrade fit into a concept of food miles? And just how do the latest figures on Fairtrade sales fit with the idea that UK shoppers are clamouring for food from Kent instead of Kenya?
Figures from the Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International (FLO) said the amount of money spent on Fairtrade products soared by 41% in 2006.
Consumers worldwide spent EUR1.6bn (US$2.2bn) on Fairtrade goods last year, with cocoa, coffee, tea and bananas showing robust growth.
UK shopping habits are, indeed, a complex beast.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review