Blog: Unilever marks Knorr's birthday
Dean Best | 17 October 2013
After last week's Anuga, just-food returns to Germany for a two-day trip held by Unilever to mark the 175th 'birthday' of Knorr - the consumer goods giant's biggest brand.
Unilever's food portfolio has been under scrutiny in recent quarters, not least earlier this month when the company announced something of a sales warning for the third quarter. The warning was driven by a slowdown in emerging markets - where the bulk of Unilever's sales are in non-food - but also by the continued challenge of finding growth in developed markets, where Unilever's food arm does most of its business.
However, Knorr has been a bright spot in the Unilever food basket; sales in the second quarter were up nearly 5%.
While the majority of Unilever's business in emerging markets is in home and personal care products, Knorr does have a sizeable presence in developing economies. Worldwide, EUR4bn worth of Knorr products are sold each year - and around half is in emerging markets. Unilever says the "growth engines" for the brand are in Africa and Latin America.
just-food is currently hurtling along the autobahn in Bavaria to a visit a farm that supplies Knorr, where Unilever plans to outline the sustainable practices at the family-run supplier.
Later, CEO Paul Polman and Antoine de Saint Affrique, head of food at Unilever, plan to hold a briefing on the company's plans for Knorr.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
This week, Bel struck a deal to buy a majority stake in fellow French group MOM Brands. Another French food major, Danone, faced criticism in the US over its plans for GMO ingredients. US snack maker ...
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review