Blog: Upbeat tones at IFE
Dean Best | 17 March 2009
It's day three of the IFE trade exhibition in London's Docklands – and each day has appeared progressively busier for visitors and exhibitors.
Today (17 March), Peter Marks, the chief executive of UK retailer The Co-operative Group, gave the VIP address at the show – and promptly insisted a supermarket ombudsman will not protect suppliers from retailers.
Marks, who also claimed the Co-op, would deliver a “significant increase” in profits as it navigates the downturn in the UK said the company's recent acquisition of fellow UK retailer Somerfield had proved “the icing on the cake”.
Throughout the three days, similarly optimistic tones have come from Fairtrade chocolate maker Divine Chocolate, while Brazilian meat giant Sadia is lining up an ambitious move to launch branded products into a competitive UK retail poultry sector.
It's been a hectic three days so far and there are signs that, despite the downturn, parts of the food industry remain defiant and positively bullish about their prospects.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review