Blog: Upbeat tones at IFE
Dean Best | 17 March 2009
It's day three of the IFE trade exhibition in London's Docklands – and each day has appeared progressively busier for visitors and exhibitors.
Today (17 March), Peter Marks, the chief executive of UK retailer The Co-operative Group, gave the VIP address at the show – and promptly insisted a supermarket ombudsman will not protect suppliers from retailers.
Marks, who also claimed the Co-op, would deliver a “significant increase” in profits as it navigates the downturn in the UK said the company's recent acquisition of fellow UK retailer Somerfield had proved “the icing on the cake”.
Throughout the three days, similarly optimistic tones have come from Fairtrade chocolate maker Divine Chocolate, while Brazilian meat giant Sadia is lining up an ambitious move to launch branded products into a competitive UK retail poultry sector.
It's been a hectic three days so far and there are signs that, despite the downturn, parts of the food industry remain defiant and positively bullish about their prospects.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review