Blog: US gluten-free labelling regulations kick in
Katy Askew | 5 August 2014
The US Food and Drug Administration's rules on what constitutes "gluten-free" - first unveiled in August last year - come into effect today (5 August).
The regulations mean any food manufacturer labelling products gluten-free in the market must meet certain universal standards.
The FDA set a gluten limit of less than 20parts per million in foods claiming not to contain gluten. Additionally, the FDA now allows manufacturers to label a food gluten-free it doesn't contain any of the following: an ingredient that is any type of wheat, rye, barley, or crossbreeds of these grains.
Foods such as bottled spring water, fruits and vegetables and eggs can also be labeled gluten-free because they inherently don't have any gluten, the regulator said.
"This standard gluten-free definition eliminates uncertainty about how food producers label their products. People with celiac disease can rest assured that foods labeled gluten-free meet a clear standard established and enforced by FDA," Felicia Billingslea, director of FDA's division of food labeling and standards, said.
Growing awareness of coeliac disease - as well as a rising number of people who decide to eliminate gluten from their diets as a lifestyle choice - have resulted in booming demand for foods that are free from gluten in the US.
Tightening the regulations and providing consumers with a clear understanding of what it means to be gluten-free will support this growth and strengthen consumer trust.
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019