Blog: US labelling war continues as Heinz sued for "all-natural" claims
Hannah Abdulla | 12 June 2014
Heinz has been added to the list of manufacturers to be pulled up on claims its product is "all-natural" in the US.
The US ketchup maker is being sued for allegedly engaging in "false marketing and advertisement" of its Heinz Distilled White Vinegar which the claimant suggests is not "all natural" and is in fact made using GMO corn.
In an email to just-food, spokesperson for the firm, Michael Mullen said: “While Heinz does not comment on pending litigation, we believe this to be a groundless lawsuit and we look forward to vigorously defending our products.”
There are growing concerns that the lines between the terms "all-natural", "non-GMO" and "organic" are becoming increasingly blurred.
The US has seen an explosion in discourse around what is in food and how it is produced. The battle over labelling GMOs, for instance, is making national headlines.
Last month Kellogg was forced to drop its "all-natural" label on its Kashi and Bear Naked products in order to settle a class-action lawsuit. A 2011 class-action lawsuit had accused Kashi of misleading people by stamping the phrase "All Natural" or "Nothing Artificial" on products that contained a variety of synthetic and artificial ingredients.
Coca-Cola Amatil is co-operating with Australian state police after an employee was arrested for money laundering and receiving a reported half-a-million Australian dollars in corrupt commissions. ...
Yildiz Holding reportedly wants its snacks business to overtake Kellogg and become the world's second-largest snack manufacturer....
Nestle, Danone, Kerry Group and Tyson Foods are among the multinational consumer goods manufacturers presenting next week at the Consumer Analyst Group of Europe conference in London - of which just-f...
- Analysis: Is Heinz, Kraft merger "a growth story"?
- Focus: Can Mars gain share in Indian chocolate?
- The challenges awaiting ConAgra's new CEO
- Why Heinz-Kraft merger could herald more deals
- The challenge of digital marketing and ROI
- Fatal explosion at French desserts firm Senagral
- Infographic: Heinz, Kraft unveil combined business
- UPDATE: Heinz, Kraft strike merger agreement
- ConAgra confirms another private-label charge
- Mondelez coy on Philadelphia sale rumours