Blog: US labelling war continues as Heinz sued for "all-natural" claims
Hannah Abdulla | 12 June 2014
Heinz has been added to the list of manufacturers to be pulled up on claims its product is "all-natural" in the US.
The US ketchup maker is being sued for allegedly engaging in "false marketing and advertisement" of its Heinz Distilled White Vinegar which the claimant suggests is not "all natural" and is in fact made using GMO corn.
In an email to just-food, spokesperson for the firm, Michael Mullen said: “While Heinz does not comment on pending litigation, we believe this to be a groundless lawsuit and we look forward to vigorously defending our products.”
There are growing concerns that the lines between the terms "all-natural", "non-GMO" and "organic" are becoming increasingly blurred.
The US has seen an explosion in discourse around what is in food and how it is produced. The battle over labelling GMOs, for instance, is making national headlines.
Last month Kellogg was forced to drop its "all-natural" label on its Kashi and Bear Naked products in order to settle a class-action lawsuit. A 2011 class-action lawsuit had accused Kashi of misleading people by stamping the phrase "All Natural" or "Nothing Artificial" on products that contained a variety of synthetic and artificial ingredients.
just-food is downing tools for the public holiday in England and Wales on Monday 31 August. We'll be back at our desks on Tuesday 1 September....
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
A lawsuit tabled in the US has brought fresh attention to the supply chain for prawns, which hit headlines around the world last year amid claims of slavery....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- General Mills to work on artificial ingredients
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020