Blog: US labelling war continues as Heinz sued for "all-natural" claims
Hannah Abdulla | 12 June 2014
Heinz has been added to the list of manufacturers to be pulled up on claims its product is "all-natural" in the US.
The US ketchup maker is being sued for allegedly engaging in "false marketing and advertisement" of its Heinz Distilled White Vinegar which the claimant suggests is not "all natural" and is in fact made using GMO corn.
In an email to just-food, spokesperson for the firm, Michael Mullen said: “While Heinz does not comment on pending litigation, we believe this to be a groundless lawsuit and we look forward to vigorously defending our products.”
There are growing concerns that the lines between the terms "all-natural", "non-GMO" and "organic" are becoming increasingly blurred.
The US has seen an explosion in discourse around what is in food and how it is produced. The battle over labelling GMOs, for instance, is making national headlines.
Last month Kellogg was forced to drop its "all-natural" label on its Kashi and Bear Naked products in order to settle a class-action lawsuit. A 2011 class-action lawsuit had accused Kashi of misleading people by stamping the phrase "All Natural" or "Nothing Artificial" on products that contained a variety of synthetic and artificial ingredients.
Wow. Your correspondent is penning this blog following precious little sleep after the combination of a humid night in London and the emergence of the most significant event in UK history since 1945 m...
The last three Unilever CEOs have joined present chief executive Paul Polman in writing to the company's staff to warn the group's UK operations would be "negatively impacted" by the country leaving t...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- German dairy DMK to pursue cost-cutting plans
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights