Blog: US labelling war continues as Heinz sued for "all-natural" claims
Hannah Abdulla | 12 June 2014
Heinz has been added to the list of manufacturers to be pulled up on claims its product is "all-natural" in the US.
The US ketchup maker is being sued for allegedly engaging in "false marketing and advertisement" of its Heinz Distilled White Vinegar which the claimant suggests is not "all natural" and is in fact made using GMO corn.
In an email to just-food, spokesperson for the firm, Michael Mullen said: “While Heinz does not comment on pending litigation, we believe this to be a groundless lawsuit and we look forward to vigorously defending our products.”
There are growing concerns that the lines between the terms "all-natural", "non-GMO" and "organic" are becoming increasingly blurred.
The US has seen an explosion in discourse around what is in food and how it is produced. The battle over labelling GMOs, for instance, is making national headlines.
Last month Kellogg was forced to drop its "all-natural" label on its Kashi and Bear Naked products in order to settle a class-action lawsuit. A 2011 class-action lawsuit had accused Kashi of misleading people by stamping the phrase "All Natural" or "Nothing Artificial" on products that contained a variety of synthetic and artificial ingredients.
How can diet-related ill-health be tackled? How can the health and wellbeing of the population improve? Such a complex issue is often reduced to soundbites and brickbats, with industry in the firing l...
The introduction of front-of-pack nutrition labels in the UK has encouraged consumers to choose healthier food, the country's grocers insisted today (19 November)....
Dairy processors in Australia believe the agreement between Canberra and Beijing will make them more competitive in a key export market....
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Bird flu leads Dutch to stop poultry distribution
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Arla eyes infant formula firms with lactose plant
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report