Blog: US labelling war continues as Heinz sued for "all-natural" claims
Hannah Abdulla | 12 June 2014
Heinz has been added to the list of manufacturers to be pulled up on claims its product is "all-natural" in the US.
The US ketchup maker is being sued for allegedly engaging in "false marketing and advertisement" of its Heinz Distilled White Vinegar which the claimant suggests is not "all natural" and is in fact made using GMO corn.
In an email to just-food, spokesperson for the firm, Michael Mullen said: “While Heinz does not comment on pending litigation, we believe this to be a groundless lawsuit and we look forward to vigorously defending our products.”
There are growing concerns that the lines between the terms "all-natural", "non-GMO" and "organic" are becoming increasingly blurred.
The US has seen an explosion in discourse around what is in food and how it is produced. The battle over labelling GMOs, for instance, is making national headlines.
Last month Kellogg was forced to drop its "all-natural" label on its Kashi and Bear Naked products in order to settle a class-action lawsuit. A 2011 class-action lawsuit had accused Kashi of misleading people by stamping the phrase "All Natural" or "Nothing Artificial" on products that contained a variety of synthetic and artificial ingredients.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report