Blog: US meat gripe highlights global disharmony
Dean Best | 5 June 2008
The by now familiar complaints from the US meat sector over biofuels were voiced again today (5 June).
Larry Pope, boss of Smithfield Foods, pointed the finger at Washington for the spike in grain costs that he – and many of his counterparts in US meat – are facing.
Pope’s protests shed light on how difficult it will be for governments around the world to heed calls heard this week at the UN Food Summit in Rome for countries to work together to solve the problem.
Take biofuels. On one hand you have the US and the EU pursuing a policy of ramping up biofuels production. Now, however, discontent is being heard with the UK at the forefront of those questioning the wisdom of the policy.
Take free trade. On one hand, you have the likes of UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon calling for a cut in export restrictions and import tariffs, a call supported by the UK.
On the other, you have the likes of the world's largest rice producers, including China, India and Vietnam, cutting exports and stockpiled supplies.
And, all the while, the never-ending world trade talks at Doha rumble on and on.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review