Blog: Vegetarian Smarties
Catherine Sleep | 2 November 2004
See yesterday’s story on Nestlé being criticised by the Vegetarian Society for using crushed beetles to produce red Smarties? The idea is that Nestlé will be shamed into finding an alternative method to make Smarties red.
The story has irked one of our readers who feels that vegetarians need to lighten up and stop being so sanctimonious. To quote him:
“Re your story about the Vegetarian Society complaining about Smarties. Please note that Smarties *are* suitable for vegetarians. What they are not suitable for is vegetarian *diets*.
It irritates me to hell and back to hear of vegetarians described (or more often describing themselves) as somehow physiologically different. If I was Nestlé, I'd sue the Vegetarian Society for defamation.”
My reaction to this rant (for which many thanks, all opinions gratefully received) is blank incomprehension. Surely 'vegetarian' is a generally accepted and understood term for ‘person following a vegetarian diet'. What does everyone else think?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review