Blog: Visitors to WRC - a sign of the times?
Dean Best | 6 May 2009
The World Retail Congress certainly seems quieter this year.
Official figures for the number of delegates have yet to be announced but the impression is that there seems to be less people around this year.
A sign of the economic times we find ourselves in, perhaps?
Maybe, the next two days will be busier. Nevertheless, already today, we've had the usual optimistic tones about the potential of India's retail sector, despite the global downturn meaning GDP growth will be lower this year.
However, one executive from Reliance Retail gave an insightful commentary on the challenges he sees for retailers operating in India, not least for food retailers competing against smaller "mom-and-pop" outlets, which make up the majority of the country's fragmented retail sector.
Food for thought indeed. It will be interesting to hear later on just how much optimism there is about the "new" emerging retail markets.
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations