Blog: Visitors to WRC - a sign of the times?
Dean Best | 6 May 2009
The World Retail Congress certainly seems quieter this year.
Official figures for the number of delegates have yet to be announced but the impression is that there seems to be less people around this year.
A sign of the economic times we find ourselves in, perhaps?
Maybe, the next two days will be busier. Nevertheless, already today, we've had the usual optimistic tones about the potential of India's retail sector, despite the global downturn meaning GDP growth will be lower this year.
However, one executive from Reliance Retail gave an insightful commentary on the challenges he sees for retailers operating in India, not least for food retailers competing against smaller "mom-and-pop" outlets, which make up the majority of the country's fragmented retail sector.
Food for thought indeed. It will be interesting to hear later on just how much optimism there is about the "new" emerging retail markets.
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Gen Mills uses NPD, renovation to heat soup sales
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities