Blog: Viterra confirms takeover talks
Michelle Russell | 19 March 2012
Canadian agribusiness group Viterra said it has begun "exclusive negotiations" on a potential takeover bid.
Viterra has not named who it is in talks with, but reports have suggested that Switzerland-based commodity supplier Glencore is launching a joint bid along with Canadian grain handler Richardson International and farm retailer Agrium.
Last week the company said it had received "expressions of interest" from third parties to acquire it, but that bidders would have to offer at least C$16 per share, valuing Viterra at around C$6.03bn (US$6.08bn).
In an updated statement today, Viterra said the company is considering "a price which is consistent with our previous statement", but warned it could make no assurance of a deal or what price may be offered.
"A further announcement will be made if appropriate", the company said.
Trading of Viterra's shares on the Toronto Stock Exchange was halted pending the company's statement. The company's shares were trading at C$16 at 12:19 EDT today.
Glencore declined to comment on the reports when contacted by just-food.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities