Blog: Wal-Mart raises stakes with India venture
Dean Best | 8 August 2007
In terms of direct investment into the retail sector, India remains a closed shop for foreign firms.
Nevertheless, Wal-Mart’s move into the country’s wholesale business is a smart move from the US retail giant.
Wal-Mart’s cash-and-carry venture with Indian conglomerate Bharti Enterprises – announced on Monday after months of negotiations – should leave the company handily placed if the Indian government allows foreign retailers to expand.
And by partnering with Bharti, which, for instance, owns India’s largest mobile phone network, the venture should be able to tap into a wide distribution network in a country where transportation remains a key challenge.
However, German retailer Metro, one of Wal-Mart’s fierce global rivals, already has a strong foothold in India with a presence in a number of states.
If and when the Indian government gives the green light for multinational retailers to wade into the country’s retail sector, there will surely be a fierce fight for the wallets of India’s ever-burgeoning middle class.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review