Blog: Wal-Mart seeks to lure in customers with fresh produce "guarantee"
Michelle Russell | 4 June 2013
US retail giant Wal-Mart is looking to boost traffic numbers with the launch of a fresh produce guarantee across its store network.
The new efforts that the retailer says will "ensure the quality and freshness of the fruits and vegetables" it sells, includes a 100% money-back guarantee, as well as changes across produce sourcing, training and operations.
The initiative includes faster delivery from farm to shelves by purchasing directly from growers, independent weekly checks across stores, and the hiring of "produce experts" to work directly with farmers.
The initiative is all part of a strategy by the company to double sales of locally grown produce by December 2015. It also follows a number of recent commitments by Wal-Mart to make food healthier and healthier food more affordable.
Danone completed its US$12.5bn acquisition of WhiteWave Foods this week. The move will roughly double Danone's presence in North America, where WhiteWave is a top four dairy player. ...
Premier Foods plc revealed today (28 March) it has secured a deal with its pension scheme trustees that will see the UK food maker reduce its pension burden....
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Interview: Sir Kensington's on sale to Unilever
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- PepsiCo affirms full-year target as Q1 hits mark
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre
- Icelandic to sell Saucy Fish Co. owner Seachill